You can tell what happened after that, right?
I did great as a freelance designer. I had regular work and great clients. The problem was I originally left my cushy (but crazy busy and demanding) design job to become a children's illustrator. I was failing miserably at working towards this goal. I let the fear of trying something new and feeling like my art wasn't good enough get in the way. I fell back into what I already knew how to do to ignore all of my insecurities.
After I finished listening to the audio version of this book, I decided that I didn't want to give up on being an illustrator. I gradually stopped taking on design projects as I focused on children's illustration. That focus and bracing for the fact that things are just going to be hard and discouraging in the middle kept me on task.
A year after I read The Dip, I feel like I'm still working hard but I'm clearly on the right path.
If you feel scattered or just discouraged, I really encourage you to try this book. It's super-short and the audio book is only about 90 minutes. You can't beat the audiobook price of $5.95 too.
The Dip unabridged audiobook in Amazon.com.
The Dip unabridged audiobook in iTunes.
This sounds like the book I need to read, because I am definitely in that dip right now! Thank you for sharing this.
ReplyDelete